Giving to a Charity?
Fundraisers and Charities use the phone, email, internet, and mobile devices to solicit donations. Unfortunately, scammers use these same avenues to solicit your funds too.
Here are a few suggestions that will help you in deterring fraudulent charity scams:
- Ask for detailed information about the charity including address, phone number, etc...
- Research the charity name online for any complaints or scam warnings
- Call the charity directly and verify the solicitation method you received from them
- Research if charity is registered by contacting the National Assoc of State Charity Officials
- Research how much of your donation will actually go to the fundraiser they are promoting
- Know the difference between "tax deductible" and "tax exempt"
- Never send cash donations
- Never wire money to someone claiming to be a charity
- Do not give out credit card or account information until you have researched the charity fully
- Be very cautious of charities that pop-up quickly after a natural disaster or current event
- Make an annual donation plan and keep records for yourself
If you think you have been scammed by a fraudulent charity or solicitation,please file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.