Social networking is so popular in our world today.
Here are a few security tips to help you!
- It is fun to share about yourself, pictures, etc…but there are things you should never share online. These include your social (even just the last four digits too), birth date, home address, phone number, and where you were born.
- Check out your privacy settings. Don’t always assume the default settings are the best option for you. You can set who can see your personal information and your postings.
- Learn how social networking sites are using your information. What information can a third party see or download from your profile?
- When in doubt…don’t click! Be very careful of links and messages with links. Verify who sent the message an alternate way before clicking.
- Be careful when selecting criteria for password re-sets. Hackers look for easy personal information to “reset” your password themselves. For example: high school mascot, birthday, city you grew up in. These are all easy pieces of information to gather from social media and be used to hack your financial accounts.
- Be selective who you accept as a friend on a social network. Identity thieves may create fake profiles to obtain financial information from you.